Friday, April 5, 2013

Watch What You Say...

In today's culture we have to be careful of what comes out of our mouths so as not to offend anyone that may or may not be standing near us. I don't think be overly cautious of what you say is a bad thing. But what if your fear of offending someone is keeping you from saying what is really on your mind?

For a country that proudly boast freedom of speech we sure do have to curb saying what we really believe a whole lot. And now there is even a term for not saying anything that upsets or offends anyone, political correctness. I think, as a country, we are sick of this "political correctness." I think this is why we love comedians so much, because people with the title "comedian" have a free pass to say what they really think and piss people off. As an audience we find it scandalizing and hilarious to hear someone finally say what everyone else in the room is thinking. Comedians like Jeff Dunham, Gabriel Iglesias, and Jeff Foxworthy have made us all laugh at their crude remarks and crass statements, while at the same time not worrying whether or not it is offending the person sitting next to us.



I'll admit, I have kept my mouth shut or said "political correct" things on a lot of occasions so as to avoid confrontation or upsetting anyone. Sometimes it has been a good thing, no need to invite or make trouble where there is none, but, other times I find myself wishing I had spoken my mind. Why is it that others get to offend me by trying to push their beliefs and views on me and I should stay quiet about my beliefs out of fear of upsetting them in turn? That just doesn't sound or feel right to me. What do you think? Do you think many of us should continue on silently or do you think it is time to respond and voice our opinions? I can tell you that right now I myself am leaning towards the latter...

2 comments:

  1. I agree that America is becoming more and more stringent about everyone being "politically correct". I have professors that feel the need to apologize all the time about things that they have said in fear that they might have offended someone. I think it has gone too far. There should not be any shame attached to speaking what you feel. There are ways of being honest while still being respectful and I think people should embrace that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think there's a difference between being politically correct and being offensive, but oftentimes they are confused. Most people don't care if you speak your opinions respectfully, it's just that people begin to get emotional when discussing controversial issues.

    ReplyDelete