Friday, April 12, 2013

Coconut Oil

Having to pick what to research for this paper was a little tricky but I decided to research on coconut oil for two reasons. Some may not know this but coconut oil is a saturated fat and as I'm sure you do know we have always been told that those are bad for you, particularly when you consume it. So reason number one is that my father is a very strong advocate for coconut oil and its saturated properties and for the last five years I have been privileged to a lot of interesting facts about everything that coconut oil can do and how saturated fats have actually been proven to be beneficial for us to consume. He was/is kinda like the dad out of My Big Fat Greek Wedding that is a very strong believer in Windex... And two is, I myself have currently started using coconut oil on a day to day basis and have notice some of the changes it has made, such as making my teeth whiter and less sensitive when I combine it with my toothpaste or making my skin a lot smoother since I use it as a moisturizer, and I would like to find out more about other beneficial uses for coconut oil.  

I have been able to find a lot on the internet that discusses coconut oil but one article that stuck out to me talks about using coconut oil in your cooking. It goes into greater detail why, as a saturated fat it is still healthy, sometimes even healthier, for us to use on a daily basis because "it's a type of saturated fat called MCT-medium chain triglycerides-that the body likes to use for energy, rather than store as fat." The article also discusses many ways to incorporate the oil into your cooking, such as substituting it for butter in baking and using it for sautéing vegetables instead of other oils. I believe this article to be scholarly mainly for two reasons, it was written by a Mr. Jonny Bowden, P.h.D. and it was published in a health journal, Healthy Solutions. The article is not very long but it does contain academic diction for a more learned audience.     

3 comments:

  1. This is a very interesting topic. I would even like to read your paper when you finish writing it. I never thought too much about coconut oil. i know they put them in some moisturizers and creams but I don't know the exact use of them. carry on!Great topic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm interested in reading more about this topic as well. My father has always been a bit of a health nut, and when I was helping him move this past weekend what did I see -- coconut oil. It seems like this product might be "catching on" rather quickly. Your paper topic is very timely/current.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had no idea that coconut oil was so good for you! I also laughed pretty hard at the big fat greek wedding comparison haha. I would definitely like to read your paper when it's done so I can start reaping the benefits of coconut oil as well.

    ReplyDelete